News hotlines: 08111813019, 08025868561
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com
It was not good news for owners of shops at the popular Yaba Market in Lagos, opposite the Presbyterian Church, as an early morning fire yesterday razed 94 out of the 201 shops.
The fire was said to have started from one of the shops at the back side of the complex where wears, shoes and bags were stored.
But the inferno got out of hands and spread to other shops because of some highly inflammable materials such as wears stored in the shops, as well as air conditioners and generators filled with fuel.
Though the officers and men of the Lagos State Emergency Management Agency’s (LASEMA) Emergency Response Team (ERT) as well as the Lagos State Fire Service from Ilupeju and Alausa Fire Stations came, much damage had been done.
But the good news was that come policemen were deployed from Sabo and Adekunle Police Stations to deter some miscreants, who were lurking around, from looting people’s goods.
When contacted, LASEMA General Manager, Mr. Adesina Tiamiyu, said no life was lost and several goods were saved as the fire was wedged from rooting the entire market.
Tiamiyu said a total number of 117 shops were salvaged by his team at the end of the inferno.
Business Hilights is an online news channel conceptualized and structured to report and track on a daily basis; latest developments in critical business sectors to serve as a one stop news gateway for governments, foreign and indigenous investors.