Just in: 106 kidnapped Dapchi School girls ‘tactically’ freed, 1 christian held, 5 dead
Excitement erupted early Wednesday morning in Dapchi Community in Yobe State as Boko Haram insurgents surprisingly drove in undisclosed number of the kidnapped girls in their six Hilux vans into the Town and dropped them in front of the Dapchi Police Station from where their parents came for them.
Though some of them said they were well fed, details show that five died as a result of hardship in the forest; 106 released; one of them, a christian was held back. This data now rubbishes the initial government figure of 110 as the new total of today’s release statistics show that they are 112 even as some parents still claim that they are yet to see their daughters.
However, they were immediately taken to General Hospital for medical checkup and possible re-orientation by social workers who are expected to work on their world view and distorted psychology within the period.
Business Hilights gathered that just as signals came that Boko Haram is on their own bringing back the girls, military checkpoints within the school area were deserted by security details.
Followers of the development said it was part of the release plan for the insurgents to personally do the release themselves and this could only explain why the military checkpoints were momentarily left unmanned within the period of the release.
Also part of the release plan include handing them over to their parents personally by the insurgents as that could only be the reason why the parents were within the school compound as at the time of the early morning release.
However, after the dropping of the girls by Boko Haram convoy and retreating back to their base, military checkpoints resurfaced, pointing to the fact that the entire release episode was a matter of understanding between the insurgents and Nigerian security forces as no single gunshot or fracas was experienced during the period.
This will be the first time ever, release of kidnapped victims by the insurgents were done in such coordinated manner.
Efforts to get the number of released victims this morning failed. It would be recalled that about 110 girls were taken away from Dapchi Government School in Yobe State last month.
Besides, some members of the Chibok School Girls are yet to be released more than three years on.
Earlier last week, federal government opened up that negotiations for the release of the girls are on and in few days time, it will happen.
However, the federal government is yet to make any statement on the latest development.