Business Hilights
Tracking Nigeria's Headline Business News Online

Shooting to death of Korean staff of Samsung at LADOL rekindles rivalry

Barely few months after the apparent resolution of the crisis that rocked final delivery of the Samsung Heavy Industries (SHI) built Egina FPSO with the management of Lagos Deep Offshore Logistics Base (LADOL) Free Zone in Lagos, another deadly crisis has erupted between the two entities hosted at Snake Island, Lagos.
SHI is the lead servicing company for the Total Upstream owners of Egina FPSO which is currently producing about 200,000bpd at the Egina field off Port Harcourt coast.
Otherwise, SHI has announced the commencement of independent inquest to unravel the circumstances surrounding the death of one of its Korean employees (name with held).
Business Hilights gathered that trouble started when the Korean employee was allegedly shot by an officer of the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence (NSCDC) guarding LADOL Free Zone in Lagos. He died on Wednesday from injuries allegedly sustained from the shooting incident.
In an anger-laden statement, SHI averred that “We are conducting a full investigation and demand answers from LADOL as to how this employee was screened and what protection they can offer to workers within the LADOL Free Zone who are now extremely concerned for their safety and welfare.
“This incident has exposed the security lapses in the LADOL Free Zone which has led to the loss of a Nigerian and a Korean.”
SHI explained that the deceased suffered multiple injuries to key organs, regretting that despite the battle to save his life at the hospital by medical experts, he succumbed to death from injuries he sustained.
SHI noted that the killer LADOL Free Zone armed security guard had first shot and killed his colleague during an argument on Monday at the SHI-MCI FZE yard, adding that “The gunman then went on a rampage around the SHI-MCI yard before shooting the Korean employee who was conducting maintenance work in a crane in the zone.
“This was an entirely unprovoked attack as the employee was not involved in the original argument between the gunman and his colleague,” SHI lamented.
However, following the shooting, the Korean was evacuated to Lagoon Hospital Ikoyi, where he underwent surgeries for two days
It was gathered that due to severe damage to his kidneys and intestines from the gunshot, he sadly died on Wednesday evening despite the best efforts of the doctors and nurses treating him.
Continuing, SHI said “We are extremely shocked and saddened at the turn of events. We send our sincerest condolences to his family in Korea and are providing them with all the support they require.
“We thank all the expert medical personnel that fought so hard to save his life.
“Samsung will work tirelessly to ensure the gunman is brought to justice. We will also ensure that LADOL are held accountable for organisational and management failing that allowed the gunman to carry out this terrible crime in the LADOL Free Zone.
Already, SHI revealed that the Korean Ambassador has contacted the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, demanding “a prompt and fair investigation into what happened and to ensure the safety of Koreans who live in Nigeria.”
The Nigerian government is yet to make any form of official response to the incident as at the time of filling this report.