News hotlines: 08111813019, 08025868561
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com
The recent viral story of an Ibadan based roadside Mechanic, Azeez Morofu, who was manhandled by a mob at Ibadan and handed over to the police at Iyaganku Police Station for using cardless ATM technology in making withdrawal from his account may still be loading.
This is based on new angle to the public beating of Morofu, who a family member said is considering court action against the infringement of his fundamental human rights to use of latest technology.
Recall that his only offence was being seen at an ATM machine withdrawing money without any debit card.
The family member who did not wish his name on prints said the family was more infuriated, saying “The surprising twist to the incident was that the Police who should know, did not know that technology has made it now possible for an individual to choose either to use their debit card or not when making withdrawals.”
“The technology came into existence about two years ago or so, in the US when Wells Fargo Bank announced that customers could then withdraw money from ATM without using a debit card. The new technology allowed smartphone-toting customers to withdraw money at all of its 13,000 ATMs without inserting their debit card. Customers then were required to input a code and their ATM PIN number to access ATM options.
“Basically, cardless cash allows you to withdraw money from an ATM without using your debit card. Instead, you can opt to receive a unique code from your bank to your phone (either by text message or within your mobile banking app) that you can then use at an eligible ATM to verify your cash withdrawal.
He recalled that “The technology arrived in Nigeria much later in 2017, though it is still relatively unpopular.”
However checks amongst leading IT driven commercial banks in Nigeria showed that GTBank, Access Bank and UBA had deployed the new technology and customers that have tested them testified that it is working perfectly.
Now here’s how it works:
How to Setup Gtbank Cardless Withdrawal Using the Ussd Code
1. Dial *737#
2. Click the option that states cardless withdrawal.
3. Enter the amount you want to withdraw, and click the OK button.
4. Enter the last 4 digit of your GTbank ATM card.
1. Dial *903# from your phone and select “Withdraw Money” option.
Select “ATM Withdrawal” option.
2. Enter the Amount and validate the transaction with your PIN.
3. You will receive a transaction code for successful withdrawal.
4. Keep the code and visit any of our nearest ATM.
5. Press ‘0’ to perform a cardless withdrawal.
1. Dial *919*30*Amount and follow the onscreen instructions.
2. Go to the nearest UBA branch and use the ATM.
3. On the ATM screen, select “Paycode Cashout”
4. Enter the amount then select OK.
5. Your transaction will be verified and your cash dispensed.
Business Hilights is an online news channel conceptualized and structured to report and track on a daily basis; latest developments in critical business sectors to serve as a one stop news gateway for governments, foreign and indigenous investors.