News hotlines: 08111813019, 08025868561
The country has dropped by four positions since last year’s edition, falling from 82nd to 86th: https://surfshark.com/dql2022
The study covers 92% of the global population and indexes 117 countries by looking at five fundamental pillars of digital life – internet affordability and quality, e-infrastructure, e-security, and e-government.
Below you’ll see the key findings about Nigeria:
- Nigeria’s internet affordability ranks 114th in the world. To afford mobile internet, Nigerians have to work 183 times more (15 min/month) than Israeli citizens, for whom the most affordable 1GB package costs only 5 s of work monthly. Meanwhile, fixed broadband costs Nigerian citizens around 36 hours 13 minutes of their precious working time each month.
- Nigeria’s internet quality, considering internet speed, stability, and growth, ranks 99th in the world and is 26% worse than the global average.
- Since last year, mobile internet speed in Nigeria has improved by 10.8% (2.5 Mbps), and fixed broadband speed has grown by 15.9% (2.6 Mbps).
- Compared to South Africa, Nigeria’s mobile internet is 2 times slower, while broadband is 3 times slower.
- Out of all index pillars, Nigeria’s weakest spot is internet affordability, which needs to improve by 13970% to match the best-ranking country’s result (Israel’s).
Global overview: Overall, 7 out of 10 highest-scoring countries are in Europe, which has been the case for the past three years. Israel ranks 1st in DQL 2022 pushing Denmark to the second place after its two-year lead. Germany ranks 3rd, and France and Sweden round up the top five of the 117 evaluated nations. Congo DR, Yemen, Ethiopia, Mozambique, Cameroon are the bottom five countries.
For in-depth view at Nigeria’s performance, please take a look at the press release here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1rvrnOaYXDOF3SI46EkhjKM-eD9-2FfkId3iSkSC3h6c/edit?usp=sharing
Perhaps you would like to write about this? In case you need any additional information or visuals, do not hesitate to reach out. On our website you’ll also find a helpful country comparison tool for further research.