Business Hilights
Tracking Nigeria's Headline Business News Online

NLC decries FG’s silence on N56,000 new minimum wage proposal

The President of the Nigerian labour Congress (NLC), Mr. Wabba Ayuba, has urged the government to not only take action on the N56,000 minimum wage proposal given to it few months ago, but use the recovered funds as a substitute for the money it wanted to borrow.

Speaking at the National Executive Council meeting of the congress on Friday, he noted that the current National Minimum Wage Act had elapsed and the proposal for a new one submitted to the government had not been attended to.

He said the refusal of the government to take action on a new wage was causing untold hardships on workers and pensioners, and urged the government to treat it with urgency.

According to him, “We have long submitted our proposal for a review but government seems not to be in a haste to recognise the urgency in attending to our demands. The Nigerian workers and pensioners are important to the growth of the economy and must not be allowed to continue to suffer further hardship. We, therefore, reiterate our call on the government to treat the review of the minimum wage and pension with the utmost urgency they deserve,” he said.

He also asked the apex government to ensure a downward review of the pump price of petroleum products as ordered by the court ruling and should not accept a 200 per cent increase in the tariff that had been canvassed by power distribution companies.

 “In fact, the 45 per cent increase in electricity tariff has been declared illegal by a court of competent jurisdiction and the operators have since been ordered its reversal. Rather than obey the order of the court, the Association of Nigerian Electricity Distributors, an umbrella body for the discos has been canvassing 200 per cent increase in the tariff,” NLC boss recalled.